Invasive species of Florida, the Cuban Tree Frog { Nature Photographer of South Florida} {Invasive Species of Florida}

9:35 AM Unknown 0 Comments

    So I am a frog lover
and so is my son, Kevin.  As I was driving to the store in the rain, I spotted a cute tree frog.  So I jumped out of the car, grabbed it and stuffed it in a cup so he wouldn't get away.  When I finally got home, I handed the cup to my son and of course he was super excited!  I am always bringing him lizards home but never a frog.   This is his first frog. At first he is a little scared, especially when he jumps.  I have never had a tree frog, but soon discover it can climb me, the wall in our bathroom and pretty much anything.  This little frog is far the cutest thing I have ever seen.  So the next day I go to the pet store and buy the whole nine yard for this little bugger, a terrarium.  Now it is the newest member of the family. So fare we don't have a name for her.  I think it is a girl because she doesn't croak at night. Who knows?
    So after extensive research, I think it is an invasive species of Florida known as the "Cuban Tree Frog".  I soon discover that she supposedly secretes a toxin which can cause burning of the eyes.  One of these days, I might take it to NOVA, the college and determine if it is in fact the Cuban Tree Frog.  They say to kill them if you find them, which is sad, but we will just keep her for now. But we need a name for her.  Any suggestions?

0 comments: