Hurricane Irene 8/2011 - { Ft. Laurderdale Senior Portrait Photographer }

8:53 AM Unknown 0 Comments


So where do I begin.  It is hurricane season, I live in South Florida and I have yet to be hit by the famous hurricanes that happen here.  I thought for sure a week ago that I'd be packed and running for the hills.  But no, I am sitting here while it rains, watching "Sweet home Alabama".  As for my family in Virginia, they are preparing for this storm.   I am worried about my aunt and dad who live by the water in both Virginia and Maryland.   They aren't worried and I hope things turn out well.
     In 1996 we were hit with Hurricane Fran.  If you read the wiki here, it will say that it devastated Page County, Virginia.   We almost lost our house and many weren't so fortunate.  We watched the water in our little dried up creek slowly rise and there was a time when the water went from a few inches deep to about 2 feet deep, flowing like a river through our yard.   As the water reached its peak, debris slowly piled against our house causing water to seep into our house.  I was 11 years old and in charge of my little brother and sister.  My mom and her husband worked frantically to fill sand in potato sacks and stack them by the door and house, clearing debris and trying everything to keep our house.  We lived 4 hours from Virginia Beach, and the closest creek was 1/2 mile up the road.
     This hurricane washed out roads, bridges, and houses in every direction.  Many people were trapped on their property for days.   We didn't have water or electricity for 2 weeks and it was incredibly hard to make it from place to place.  Where there were once roads, there were now rivers.  Debris hung at the tops of trees and power lines.  Trash littered the entire town.   It was really a disaster!







   This story is for the people out there who may be hit with a hurricane.  Just because you don't live by a creek, river, ocean, bay or flowing stream, doesn't mean your safe.  Be prepared for what could happen and always know your way out.  I pray for every ones safety during this storm.  Good luck and enjoy the pictures of Dania Beach and pier as hurricane Irene passed by us yesterday.  Love always, Me



0 comments: